- Cluster discovery service (CDS) API.
- Outlier detection (passive health checking).
- Envoy configuration is now checked against a JSON schema.
- Ring hash consistent load balancer, as well as HTTP consistent hash routing based on a policy.
- Vastly enhanced global rate limit configuration via the HTTP rate limiting filter.
- HTTP routing to a cluster retrieved from a header.
- Weighted cluster HTTP routing.
- Auto host rewrite during HTTP routing.
- Regex header matching during HTTP routing.
- HTTP access log runtime filter.
- LightStep tracer parent/child span association.
- Route discovery service (RDS) API.
- HTTP router x-envoy-upstream-rq-timeout-alt-response header support.
- use_original_dst and bind_to_port listener options (useful for iptables based transparent proxy support).
- TCP proxy filter route table support.
- Configurable stats flush interval.
- Various third party library upgrades, including using BoringSSL as the default SSL provider.
- No longer maintain closed HTTP/2 streams for priority calculations. Leads to substantial memory savings for large meshes.
- Numerous small changes and fixes not listed here.
- Switch from Jannson to RapidJSON for our JSON library (allowing for a configuration schema in 1.2.0).
- Upgrade recommended version of various other libraries.
- Configurable DNS refresh rate for DNS service discovery types.
- Upstream circuit breaker configuration can be overridden via runtime.
- Zone aware routing support.
- Generic header matching routing rule.
- HTTP/2 graceful connection draining (double GOAWAY).
- DynamoDB filter per shard statistics (pre-release AWS feature).
- Initial release of the fault injection HTTP filter.
- HTTP rate limit filter enhancements (note that the configuration for HTTP rate limiting is going to be overhauled in 1.2.0).
- Added refused-stream retry policy.
- Multiple priority queues for upstream clusters (configurable on a per route basis, with separate connection pools, circuit breakers, etc.).
- Added max connection circuit breaking to the TCP proxy filter.
- Added CLI options for setting the logging file flush interval as well as the drain/shutdown time during hot restart.
- A very large number of performance enhancements for core HTTP/TCP proxy flows as well as a few new configuration flags to allow disabling expensive features if they are not needed (specifically request ID generation and dynamic response code stats).
- Support Mongo 3.2 in the Mongo sniffing filter.
- Lots of other small fixes and enhancements not listed.
Initial open source release.